Friday, October 09, 2026

Unlocking Second Chances: Running Beyond the Finish Line

 On 20 September 2026, I traded my usual Sunday routine for a sea of green.

The Yellow Ribbon Run has traditionally been associated with the symbolic hills around Changi Prison. This year marked the 22nd anniversary of the Yellow Ribbon movement, and for the first time, the flagship event moved to the Kallang precinct.

I signed up for the 10km category. This was my first time participating in the Yellow Ribbon Run. I was curious to see what it would feel like to run for a cause that goes beyond the finish line.

I collected the run pack at Suntec one week before the run.

 

Haze Watch

Haze from Indonesia affected Singapore's air quality in the week leading up to the race. Fortunately, the skies cleared in time for the 7am flag-off.

The first Downtown Line train departed from Expo and reached Tampines East Station at 5.59am. About 30 minutes later, I arrived at Stadium Station and stepped into an already vibrant atmosphere. As time went by, more than 7,000 participants, easily recognisable in their event T-shirts, were gathering around the venue.

The baggage-deposit station was efficiently organised with little fuss.

A mass-participation race is a logistical exercise in itself. The baggage-deposit station was efficiently organised with little fuss. I had collected my bib a week earlier at Suntec. Mine was #11030, with the leading “1” indicating the 10km category and helping the marshals direct runners into the correct holding pens.

As time went by, more and more participants were gathering around the starting line.

Even the timing system was slightly different from what I was used to. Instead of a timing chip attached to the back of the bib, we fitted passive RFID tags to our shoelaces. Sitting near our feet, the tags recorded the precise moment we crossed the timing gantries.

Then came the moment we had been waiting for. The flag dropped, and the crowd moved enthusiastically.

 

Settled in with My Own Pace

The 10km route looped around the Kallang riverside. The course was always crowded with little free space to manoeuvre. Once settled in, I found my usual endurance rhythm, running between 8:00 and 8:30 minutes per kilometre. There was little breeze that morning, and the heat and humidity quickly made themselves felt. After just one kilometre, my body was already soaked.

I kept my steps short and steady, with an average cadence of 156 and a maximum of 165 spm. At that pace, I could breathe and take in the surroundings.

That is one of the things I enjoy about distance running. You learn to find a pace that you can sustain. Not the fastest pace. Not someone else's pace. Your own. Perhaps that is also true of life.

While the 10km runners tackled the longer route, others were taking part in the 5km event. Families joined the inaugural 888m Parent-Child Run. Different distances, different abilities, but everyone was moving in the same direction.

That was perhaps part of the Yellow Ribbon Run message too.

 

Beyond the Finish Line

I crossed the finish line near the National Stadium at around the 1-hour-20-minute mark.

That was roughly my usual pace for a casual run. Running has taught me that improvement is not always about being faster. Sometimes, it is simply about continuing.

There were runners ahead of me and behind me. Some were much faster; others were taking their time. I did not feel the need to compete with any of them. I was running against my own mind and body.

Immediately after the finishing line.

After crossing the finish line, I queued for a cup of 100PLUS and my finisher's medal. The race was well organised, and I found the overall experience much smoother than the Great Green Run I took part in this June.

The medal was not what stayed with me. It was the idea behind the yellow ribbon.

The idea behind the yellow ribbon stayed with me.

 

We Are Each Other's Second Chances

The event registration fees support the core members of the CARE Network, including Yellow Ribbon Cares, the Singapore Anti-Narcotics Association (SANA), and the Singapore After-Care Association (SACA).

The Yellow Ribbon Project has engaged more than 300,000 Singaporeans since 2004. On race day, thousands of them gathered under the message of building “A Nation Beyond Second Chances” and moving beyond the stigma of a criminal past.

One phrase caught my attention: “We Are Each Other's Second Chances.”

A second chance is not simply about starting over after making a mistake. Forgiveness may help someone get back on their feet. Rebuilding a life in society requires much more — employment, education, family, community support, and people willing to give someone another opportunity.

A second chance is a long journey. And perhaps running is not such a bad metaphor for that journey.

None of us learns to walk without falling first. We make mistakes in life. We make poor decisions at work. We take wrong turns. Sometimes we stop. Sometimes we have to find our way back.

Personal growth is rarely a straight line. It is more like running a long distance: try, stumble, adjust, slow down, find your rhythm, and keep going. It is about the opportunities to start again, and again.

A race has a starting line and a finishing line. Life is not quite so simple. For some people, getting to the starting line again may be an achievement.

The important thing is not how quickly they get there, or whether they move at the same pace as everyone else. It is that they are given a chance to move forward.

Perhaps that is what “Beyond 2nd Chances” really means. A second chance does not erase the past. The past has happened, and its consequences remain. But the past does not have to determine the next chapter.

Just as I have learned to accept my own pace on the 10km course, perhaps society also needs to give people the space, support and time to find their way again.

The finish line matters. But sometimes, the most important part of the journey is being given the chance to start.

Beyond 2nd Chances: Yellow Ribbon booths in the Kallang Wave Mall.


Links

No comments: